Sunday 15 March 2009

February 2009

Freezing weather conditions meant that it wasn't worthwhile putting the trap out until 17th February when I tried the 15w actinic. Five species, all new for the year, was about what I'd expected but there was a surprise in a female Pale Brindled Beauty perched on the edge of the trap. I've not seen one of the wingless females before and it took me a few minutes to realise what it was - a suggestion was later made that the female had been transported there by a male which had later flown off.



A few days later on the 21st only two species came to the trap, but one of those was a very smart Satellite.


On the 24th an Early Moth was attracted to a lit window and two March Moths were in the trap. This was unusual as it was only the second garden record and the first multiple.



The final trapping night of February was the 27th; two Satellites were notable but the main interest was my first confirmed Tortricodes alternella - I trapped one in 2005 but released it and the only photo was inconclusive.

No comments: